Recently, the project team has expressed concerns that current plans for the Stonehenge tunnel could adversely affect the historic environment and reduce the water table at Blick Mead, destroying its rare organic remains.
The prize forms part of the celebrated Current Archaeology Awards given each year by Current Archaeology, the UK’s leading archaeology magazine. TV personality and archaeologist Julian Richards announced the winners of the 2018 awards on 23 February, during the Current Archaeology Live! annual conference, held at the University of London’s Senate House.
Accepting the award, David Jacques of the University of Buckingham said: “Wow! We really want to thank Current Archaeology, who were the first to notice Blick Mead and break the story. I’d also like to thank the University of Buckingham – and everyone who voted for us – we have never won anything!”
Notes for Editors: Current Archaeology Awards
- Voted for by subscribers and members of the public, the awards recognise the outstanding contributions to our understanding of the past made by people, projects, and publications featured in the pages of Current Archaeology.
- The 2018 Current Archaeology Award for Research Project of the Year is sponsored by Export and General Insurance Services Ltd.
- Current Archaeology was launched in 1967 and celebrated its 50th anniversary last year.
- The article ‘Blick Mead: Exploring the ‘first place’ in the Stonehenge landscape’ appeared in Current Archaeology 324. Major features on the site have also been published in CA 271, 293, and 325.
- A monograph on the Blick Mead finds, also called Blick Mead: Exploring the ‘first place’ in the Stonehenge landscape has recently been published by Peter Lang publishing. More details here.
- This year’s conference saw a record number of ticket sales and was attended by over 400 people.
- Award categories include: Archaeologist of the Year, Book of the Year, Research Project of the Year and Rescue Project of the Year.
- For more information about CA Live!, visit www.archaeologylive.co.uk