The Vaughan Archaeological and Historical Society was formed on November 18th, 1947. Originally the Society was sponsored by Vaughan College, Leicester and 75% of its members had to be students of that body. In 1955 the status was changed to that of an Associated Society and membership became open. The first President was Dr W G Hoskins and hence a lecture is held in his honour annually.
Originally the Society was active in archaeological and historical research but more latterly it has concerned itself with a supportive role. In recent years this has been shown by donations to church renovations, provision of benches on the motte of Leicester castle and Welford Cemetery, siting of a plaque at Vaughan College to the memory of Dr W G Hoskins and attendance at local history fairs.