Based in Dublin, the society aims to encourage an interest in and promote the preservation of Ireland’s architectural heritage and decorative arts. Since the society’s foundation in 1958, it has saved many fine houses from destruction and amassed a membership base across the UK and USA. The group was originally formed in response to demolition of two Georgian houses in Dublin, indicative of the government’s desire to eradicate what was seen as a foreign architectural style and everything it stood for. The founders Desmond and Mariga Guinness campaigned for preservation of this undervalued aspect of Irish architecture, which has led to a far greater appreciation in recent years.
Frequent lectures, tours, courses and trips are held in order to educate the public and give access to notable buildings throughout Ireland. Membership is open to all who want to support the conservation projects and planning issues the society takes part in, as well as furthering their own interest in Ireland’s architecture.
Address: City Assembly House
58 South William Street
Telephone: 353 1 679 8675