Putnoe Heights Church & Community Centre (Photo: Alan Crawley)
Bedford Architectural, Archaeological & Local History Society’s foundation can be traced back to November 1888 when the Bedford Amateur Natural History Society came into being. Over the years there have been several name changes, the latest being in 2008 after the merger with the Bedford Society (founded 1966). The Society is a Registered Charity.
They are a group of local people, from a wide variety of backgrounds, who share a common interest in the history and archaeology of Bedford and its neighbourhood. Talks are held each month from September to April and visits are organised in the summer to places of local history and archaeological interest.
The society also actively involved in trying to ensure that Bedford’s buildings of special architectural and historic interest are protected and to increase public awareness of their importance. We also seek to preserve the best of the present urban landscape and to oppose developments which are incongruous or otherwise unsuitable.
The society publishes Bedford Local History Magazine each April and October which is free to members along with a Newsletter twice a year.
Meetings are held at Putnoe Heights Church & Community Centre, Putnoe Heights, Bedford MK41 8EB (pictured).
Hon. Secretary: Penny Stanbridge
Address: Dawlish Drive, Bedford MK40 3AU
Tel: 01234 344344