It has long been thought that Alfriston Clergy House, Sussex, was built in the mid-14th century, but recent analysis of its timbers has revealed the true date of the house’s construction.
A number of previously unrecorded archaeological features, spanning prehistory to the present day, have been identified in Birmingham’s Sutton Park.
For this month’s Science Notes we turn to two papers that recently made the headlines for their surprising findings, which have changed the ways in which we look at traditional archaeological contextual interpretations.
The earliest example of a house with surviving timbers to be found in the United Kingdom is thought to have been identified in North Yorkshire. Archaeological Research Services (ARS) discovered the remains of two timber structures preserved in peat while working at Tarmac’s Killerby Quarry site.
A recent study has identified the first direct evidence of milk consumption by humans anywhere in the world, by analysing the teeth of Neolithic individuals from Britain.
Further investigation into the contents of one of the most significant Viking-Age hoards found in Scotland has revealed a man’s name etched onto one of the objects. Discovered in Galloway in 2014, the cache was buried at the start of the 10th century and consists of over 100 objects of silver, gold, and other material.
An ornately carved Pictish stone has been uncovered at an early Christian site in the Dingwall area of the Scottish Highlands.
The eighth and final season of excavation at the Roman settlement of Ipplepen in Devon has revealed more information about daily life at the site – including a quantity of 4th-century cattle bones, which provide insights into inhabitants butchering and selling meat
From rings and rare Anglo-Saxon namestones, to coins and a medieval oven, this year’s excavation on Lindisfarne has provided a new glimpse at life on the island before, during, and after the 8th-century Viking raid that struck its monastic community.
Archaeologists have completed their excavation of the Park Street burial ground in Birmingham. Some 6,500 skeletons were excavated from the cemetery, which was open from 1810 to 1873.