The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society was founded in 1905 and is one of the foremost County antiquarian societies in Wales. From its inception the founding members saw a need to record, publish and collect all things relating to the history, antiquities and natural history of ‘Carmarthenshire in particular, and West Wales in general’. This philosophy has been maintained throughout its history. It has pursued part of its aim through scholarly publication through the Transactions (to 1939) and the Carmarthenshire Antiquary (1941 to present). It started as a ‘field club’ and remains so to this day with its active programme of Field Days, supplemented by a winter programme of lectures.
Jul 06, 2017 0In 1653, a small Cromwellian warship was lost off the west...