The Association was founded in 1846 in order to ‘examine, preserve and illustrate the ancient monuments and remains of the history, language, manners, customs, arts and industries of Wales and the Marches and to educate the public in such matters.’
Since its establishment, the society has published the journal Archaeologia Cambrensis, a collection of important historical records and innovations, which is free to members. They also hold summer meetings, which continue to hold as distinguished a place within the archaeological community as they did in the 19th century.
They also see themselves as a group where like-minded friends can enjoy sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for the past, holding summer visits to sites and monuments in all parts of Wales and, on occasion, in England, Ireland and abroad.
Dec 01, 2016 0Archaeological work beside the River Wensum in Norfolk has...