Mar 10, 2014 Fieldwork Comments Off
There are two earthworks at Warren Wood; an inner and outer enclosure. In 2010/2011 four test pits were dug in each of the enclosures. Much Medieval tile and many pottery sherds were found in the inner enclosure, indicating the site was occupied from somewhere between 1200 and 1400 AD. However, a large quantity of late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age pottery was unearthed in 2012. Waste flints from the Neolithic period have also be found.
Archaeology in Marlow (AIM) is currently excavating a trench across the bank and ditch of the outer enclosure. A large animal bone was unearthed in 2013, along with pottery sherds thought to be pre-Medieval. An augering session is planned for a Sunday in Spring.
Nov 21, 2014 0The Staffordshire Hoard is a glittering reminder of the...