Research and teaching excavations at the Black Friary, Trim, County Meath, Ireland, have been ongoing since 2010, The Dominican (Black) friars came to Trim at the invite of then Lord of Meath, Geoffrey de Geneville, who commissioned an enormous complex to be built. It was decorated using exotic imported materials including stone, and stained glass. Investigations to date have provided a glimpse at the life and death of the friary inhabitants and communities; through remote sensing, excavation, palaeoenvironmental analysis, chemical analysis, and bioarchaeological investigations.
The site of the excavations is now a six acre field of hummocky grassland. The ruins of the friary have laid buried since the friary buildings were sold as a live quarry to service a 17th century building boom in the town.
The excavations are an integral part of the Blackfriary Community Heritage and Archaeology Project (BCHAP), working closely community partners, to transform this site into a cherished amenity for the enjoyment of the townspeople and visitors.’
Jul 06, 2017 0In 1653, a small Cromwellian warship was lost off the west...